Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I learn more?
Stop by one of our upcoming open days. See our event calendar or contact us to discuss your pilot training needs.
How do I apply?
Contact us at the academy or school of your choice and we will help get you started.
I’m not sure which training is right for me. Who should I talk to?
Fill out our online enquiry form and we will contact you to discuss your aviation goals.
Do I have what it takes to become a pilot?
Pilot training at Airways Aviation gives you the knowledge and skills you need to become a qualified pilot. A great pilot has:
  • Strong teamwork skills
  • Good concentration
  • Good hand-to-eye coordination
  • An ability to remain calm under pressure
  • An ability to lead
Before commencing pilot training, you will need to pass a medical. See “What does the medical assess?” below.
What does the medical assess?
Medicals are used to assess your physical fitness and also, if you have a medical condition, how this and any associated treatment may affect the safety of air navigation.
For more information about medicals in France visit DGAC. For more information about medicals in Australia visit CASA.
What kind of aircraft can I fly?
Pilot training is incremental and involves gaining the skills and experience to fly a range of aircraft types, from single through to multi-engine, and earning various instrument and operation ratings. Pilots can only fly airplanes appropriate to their license and rating type.

For information about European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) license types in France visit EASA. For information about Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) license types in Australia visit CASA.
How many flying hours will it take to become a commercial pilot?

Flying hours for the EASA license are determined by the French DGAC.

In Australia, you must complete a minimum of 150 flying hours to obtain a Commercial Pilot License (Aeroplane).

Flying hours for the Australian CASA license are determined by CASA.
Do I have to pay for all my training in advance?
Training fees can be paid in advance or in instalments in coordination with your training schedule.
Can I do my pilot training part time?
Domestic students can choose to undertake pilot training part time. Please contact us to discuss your needs. International students are only eligible for full time training as part of their visa requirements.
Where can I get help with my visa?
Please contact the Student Services team at your Airways Aviation Flight Training Academy.
How long does the Integrated course take?
The course has a minimum legal duration of 12 months and a maximum of 36 months. The average to complete it is 24 months. The real duration of the course depends on various conditions such as student’s performance at theoretical exams, weather conditions and others. This enables some students to complete their training well below 20 months and others not.
Is it mandatory to have done maths and physics at high school?
No, but the candidate must prove during the assessment that they possess enough knowledge in these matters to allow them to successfully attend the pilot course.
Are all classes taught in English?
Yes, all the training is held in English and for two reasons: (1) English is the official language of aviation and (2) because Airways Aviation, as an international academy, has over 43 nationalities amongst its students thus English is the most used conversational language. Also, all students are granted automatically ICAO Level 4 Aviation English due to the fact they had all courses lectured in English.
What’s the schedule of the integrated course?
During ground school, the schedule is from Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm. During flight training, the schedule is variable and planned throughout the 7 days of the week.
Do I need to speak English?
Yes. English is mandatory but not needed at a native level. Candidates must have a good understanding and be able to express themselves in English. This will be evaluated during the assessment. English is the official language of aviation so a good understanding and expression in this language is mandatory.
Does Airways Aviation have any agreement with airlines?
Through more than 35 years of experience, Airways Aviation has trained specific cadet programmes both ATPL or MPL, for several airlines in Asia, Middle East and Europe. Currently, there are some ongoing contracts but we also provide some agreements that allow our self-sponsored graduate pilots to apply with special conditions to several first officer positions.
Are there classes on weekends?
Ground school classes take place only during weekdays, from Monday to Friday, but flight training is held and scheduled through the 7 days of the week including Saturdays and Sundays.
When should I contact you to enrol in a course?
If you are interested in joining, we advise you to contact us the soonest possible to make sure you guarantee your seat as these are limited and in order to perform the assessment on time. As market leaders we have a large number of candidates for a short number of vacant places in our classes so if you are really interested, we recommend you start the process the soonest.
Is the Commercial Pilot Programme a university degree?
No, the Commercial Pilot Programme or the ATPL are technical courses that follow the rules and regulations of the aviation industry as issued by EASA, the European aviation regulator, or CASA, the Australian aviation authority. As the programme comprises highly technical courses, it will give you credits for some university courses. We have cooperation agreements with several universities across our network, such as Montpellier Business School in France, Southern Cross University or Griffith University in Australia. These agreements allow students to get a university degree simultaneously with their pilot training.
Are there any financing options?
Yes, we have several options to provide financing with leading financial institutions.
Is it necessary to have any kind of aviation skills or knowledge before starting the course?
No. All the skills and knowledge needed for the profession will be acquired during the duration of the course.
Is there accommodation available?
We offer accommodation through several student campuses at premises or nearby. We can also help students to find the most suitable option for their accommodation by providing all information and support needed.
I haven’t followed a scientific path in high school. Is it nevertheless possible to enrol in the pilot course?
Yes. Our students come from the most diverse areas of education. It’s recommended to have some knowledge of English, Maths and Physics as they are the basis of the training.
What are the selection requisites for the pilot course?
To be at least 17 years old, have a minimum mandatory high school degree in the country of origin, pass the EASA medical class 1 exam, pass the psychological and skill test exams, and pass the maths, physics and English assessment.
I have tattoos; can I still become a pilot?
Having tattoos is not a deterrent to enrolling and completing a pilot course however one must have in mind that there are airlines that have some restrictions regarding this matter. It’s recommended that the tattoos are not visible while in uniform and are kept always covered.
Can I start working in an airline immediately after I complete my course?
Yes. With the training we provide, the graduate student will possess all the skills and mandatory requisites to start working as a professional pilot. Nevertheless, there are airlines that impose higher restrictions such as age limitations, flight hour minimums or others. This varies from airline to airline and depending on the time and conditions of the industry. But with the license provided, the graduate student should be able to work as a commercial pilot.
How many students per class do you have?
For educational and operational reasons, we limit our number of students per class to a maximum of 20.
Do we wear a uniform during the course?
Yes. The uniform is part of the package of materials all students receive when starting the course and its use is mandatory at Airways Aviation facilities and ground schools, while studying or during flight training. The uniform regulations must be followed and complied with.
Is there a maximum age to start the course?
There is no maximum age to become a commercial pilot but to work as an airline pilot, the age limit is 65 years. Above that there are still other activities that can be done such as flight instruction. We advise to start the earliest possible to maximize the years of work as a pilot and enjoy as much as possible this amazing profession.
Where can I work with the license I obtain from your academy?
We offer EASA, CASA and ICAO licenses depending on the location where the course takes place. CASA is the Australian license and one of the most recognized in the world. EASA is the European license accepted in all EU member states and currently the reference in terms of quality of training. By holding one of these, the student can apply to a country that is part of it or perform a conversion programme which is typically easy. The world is open to pilots who hold such highly reputed licenses.
How many aircraft do you have?
We currently have a combined fleet of over 70 aircraft spread between France, Australia, Lebanon, Turkey and India and we plan to expand our fleet even further. Most of the aircraft are glass cockpit equipped, offering the most modern technology available. We operate a fleet of Cessna, Piper, Tecnam and Diamond aircraft and we actually own and operate the largest Diamond aircraft fleet in Europe and one of the largest in the world.
How many simulators do you have?
We own and operate 13 different kinds of simulators offering the most advanced technology available for ab initio training, from manufacturers such as Alsim, Frasca or Mechtronix, and located in France, Australia and Lebanon.
What’s the ratio of students per instructor?
Authorities recommend a ratio of 6 students per instructor but we prefer to have smaller numbers of students in order for the instructors to be more dedicated to their students. As such, we have a ratio of 4 students per instructor.
What’s a pilot’s salary?
A pilot’s salary varies from country to country and airline to airline. A pilot’s salary package is above average when compared with most jobs that require similar academic qualifications.
What’s a pilot’s typical day?
This will depend a lot on the function the pilot is having. A commercial pilot can carry passengers and/or cargo, be a flight instructor at a flight school, perform aerial works (such as skydiving or banner towing), or fly business jets amongst others. There are monthly and yearly flight hour limitations due to well-regulated safety. Each company also has its own operational procedures a pilot must comply with. All said, as a pilot you will have a very dynamic job despite operating in a highly regulated industry.
Where are you located?
We have a wide number of schools and academies all over the world, from Australia to France, from India to Germany, from Dubai to Senegal, from Lebanon to Italy, and more. As we are continuously expanding, we recommend checking our website for all current locations.
Am I guaranteed a job at the end of my training?
No, we do not guarantee a job to the self-sponsored students but we do have close relations with a vast number of stakeholders in the industry, from airlines to recruitment agencies and others, that will make our graduate students have the most options to get into the industry as soon as possible.
What is an ATPL license?
The Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) is the highest level of airline pilot qualification and a requirement for a pilot to be able to command a flight with more than nine passengers. Once the course is completed, graduate pilots will hold a “frozen” ATPL which will be unfrozen once they complete 1,500 flying hours.
What is the difference between a CPL and an ATPL?
The Commercial Pilot License (CPL) allows the pilot to operate charter and corporate flights of a smaller size than the ATPL permits. It also allows them to perform some commercial operations rather than transporting passengers.
The Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) is the highest level of airline pilot certification, required to operate flights with more than nine passengers.
What is EASA?
The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is the European Union’s authority for the regulation of civil aviation. EASA carries out certification, regulation and standardisation and also performs investigation and monitoring. It’s responsible for overseeing the implementation of common safety rules and measures that ensure a uniform level of safety throughout the member states. There are 31 member states at this stage, not all part of the European Union. It’s also the current reference worldwide in terms of rules and regulations setting the highest standards in the industry. To be eligible to work as an airline pilot in any EASA country, a pilot must be holder of an EASA ATPL license.
What is CASA?
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is the Australian national authority for the regulation of civil aviation. CASA is responsible for monitoring civil air operations in Australia, issuing appropriate licenses, such as a PPL or CPL, as well as enforcing safety requirements.
What is UPRT?
UPRT is the Upset Prevention and Recovery Training that prepares pilots with theory and practical training allowing them to possess the competencies to prevent and recover from abnormal situations when an aircraft enters airplane upset.
What is MCC?
MCC stands for Multi-Crew Cooperation training which provides pilots with theoretical and practical training that develops their skills, attitude and knowledge thus enabling them to operate multi-crew aircraft.
What medical is required?
To start your CPL or ATPL course, you will need to be eligible to possess a Class 1 medical certificate. The Class 1 medical exam is a very thorough check-up that will assess any congenital chronical diseases or medical problems that can prevent you to safely operate as a professional pilot. These exams must be revalidated every year until the pilot is 40 years old and every 6 months after that. They can only be issued by approved centres.
What is the difference between Integrated and Modular ATPL courses?
They are different paths to the same ending. One must decide which one is the most suited for them.
The Integrated course is an intensive programme that takes the student from zero experience to a qualified commercial pilot license with frozen ATPL on an average of 24 months. Usually, it includes all expenses from exams, uniform and other necessary tools. This requires full-time availability.
The Modular course is more flexible as it enables the student to pass each phase at its own pace. Each part or module is an independent course. It can be cheaper than the Integrated but will take longer simply because of the formalities between modules.